Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Decisions, decisions

Today the weather tried to be tricky and pretend it wasn't the beginning of January.  Apparently the rest of the week is supposed to follow suit, being up in the high 40s/low 50s.  When the weather is this nice in January you just can't pass up running outside.  Of course, I can't pass it up ever, since I don't belong to a gym or own a treadmill, but for the sake of this post, let's pretend that's not true. It was definitely a tough decision trying to decide between the woods and the beach.  They both have their high and low points.  The woods are close so there's no traffic getting there, usually you don't see to many other people so you can run in peace, and generally it's pretty quiet there.  BUT, there are a lot of hills, people tend to have their dogs off leash, and the terrain can be rough with the snow melting.  On the other hand, the beach is fairly flat, a gorgeous view, and there's enough people around to feel safe.  BUT, there's usually a ton of traffic getting there, it can get boring running back down the same road you just ran up, and there are a lot of other people around so you can get self-conscious easily.  What it boils down to really though is the woods are a loop with hills and the beach is straight and flat.
It was a difficult decision mostly though because I can't take the dogs to either of those places and be able to focus on the run.  That means I have to go out and walk the dogs first, and then get psyched for the run.  After walking it comes down to how far I want to drive and if I want to run up hills or not.  Today I wasn't feeling it, so I ended up going with the beach. Most definitely the best choice, I think.  As I mentioned before, I use the Charity Miles app to keep track of my time/mileage, as well as help out different charities.  Unfortunately today, the app recorded my time, but for reasons unknown to me, did not record the mileage so it wouldn't send the info through! Basically, even though I ran 3.4 miles for Stand Up to Cancer, the charity doesn't get the money because the app. malfunctioned.  I was a little disappointed when I got back to my car and found that out.  On the plus side, my music was working the entire time, so I didn't have to listen to my own horrid breathing patterns halfway through the run.  Breathing is really something I need to work on, I've been trying, but it's pretty hard! Anyways, I have a ton of 1st/2nd grade math tests to score, so that's  all from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment