Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Good, good, good, good eleven

Finish that lyric, because there's only 11 more days until the marathon! Woooooooooooo.  A far cry from October's marathon, I'm actually excited about this one.  I go to bed thinking about how awesome it's going to be when I break the 4 hour mark.  Maybe I'm getting too far ahead of myself, but I'd rather be excited about it than indifferent, because we saw what indifference did last time.  Bottom line is 4 hours or not, I'm pumped to be running Baton Rouge again.  Sure, my race day logistics are still being worked out, but hopefully I'll have a handle on that by Friday.  Here's the main problem.  Usually I carry a 24 oz water bottle with hand strap.  As you might imagine, it gets tiresome having your hands full for an entire marathon.  So, I thought about changing over to a hydration belt.  Unfortunately I'm having the terrible problem of the belt riding up and moving around while I'm running.  To the point where I had to stop a mile in to my run today to adjust the entire thing to it's smallest point and anchor it down behind the phone pouch I was carrying in my waistband. Is this a common problem with the hydration belts? My next test is going to be to safety pin the belt to my waistband and see if that solves all problems.  Unfortunately, there's a good chance I"m going to be running in shorts and I really don't want to worry about the weight of the belt pulling my shorts down. 

 How does one go about fixing this problem? I really wanted to get rid of the hand-held water bottle, but it seems like the best way to stay hydrated and have the least amount of gear issues at the same time.  Now some people may say to just leave the water bottle behind and only use the water stops on the course, but it's not for the water, it's for the Tailwind.  Maybe I'm using it as a crutch, but much like Dumbo and his feather, I need this Tailwind to fly.  Sure, in the end, Dumbo didn't NEED the feather, but this is not the race I want to learn that in. So even though I intend to use the water stops along the way, I need something to carry my Tailwind in as well.  Ideally, I'd have someone hold onto the bottle and pick it up at the halfway mark, but I don't want other people to have to worry about being in a certain place at a certain time.  Putting my time goal stress onto another person isn't fair.  I'm going to give the safety pin trick a try and if that doesn't work, then maybe I will just go back to hand-held.  As far as Camelbak backpacks go, I already spent a fair amount on this hydration belt, so I don't want to go out and buy another item that may end up with the same problem anyways.  Hopefully the safety pins will work and if it's really necessary, I can run in capris instead of shorts, as long as the weather doesn't go above 65 that day.  

Other than the gear issues, the Gibbs training method has been completed, so now it's going to be a wait and see kind of game.  I'm really banking on running my half as fast as I have been running them lately, which will give me slightly more wiggle room for the other half.  I don't want to bust through the first half like a maniac, but I feel like if I take the first half slow, I won't speed up for the second half.  I'll still feel great running, but my four hour mark would be left behind, which is not what I want.  I know, I know, that's 100% not the proper way to run a marathon, but at this point, being number 5, I might as well stick with what I know.  Last time I didn't run through my first half real quick, I ended up at a 5 hour marathon, so who's to say what's really the right approach here anyways? On that note, I'll end with this picture of a beautiful champion who made a great point that I feel is extremely relevant to my thoughts right now. 



No comments:

Post a Comment