Wednesday, July 3, 2013

MCM

My big goal this year (even though it would have been 2014 technically) was to run the Walt Disney World marathon.   Then the engagement happened.  Now instead of paying for runs, I'm saving all my money for different wedding costs.  Which is completely fine with me, of the two, I'd rather have a wedding over the marathon. A few of my running buddies managed to get into the Marine Corps Marathon this year before it sold out (in 2 hours).  So those four crazy kids are running that in October, and training starts this week.  Exciting stuff, I know.
Monday morning though, I got a text from Cynthia.  She's been working on finding me a bib transfer for the MCM and I can honestly say, I didn't think it was going to happen.  BUT IT DID.  That's right, she found one.  DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS!?!?!?!?  I'm sure you do, but in case you didn't quite follow, it means I am now running the Marine Corps Marathon October 27, 2013.  So, instead of January 2014, I have to be ready by October 2013.  Maybe that doesn't seem like a big deal, but when it comes to long distance running, a couple of months can be make or break.
I know I can do a half marathon.  I know I can run 26 miles spread out over the course of a week. What I don't know is how I'm going to run 26.2 miles at one time.  Really what I mean is, I don't know how I'm going to run 26.2 miles without having to stop for potty breaks or having to walk it. Yes, yes, I know, plenty of people walk parts of a marathon.  But I hate walking when I'm running.  It always seems like I can't run as fast once I stop.  Also, running for 4+ hours seems a bit nuts, even to me.  What does one do to stay entertained the entire time? Oh sure, there will be spectators and the likes, but is it really enough for 4 hours?  At least in Disney World I felt like there would be plenty of scenery to enjoy.  In Washington D.C. though?  There are the monuments but after that, what else is there?  Where does this marathon even go? Why didn't I think of any of this before I agreed to this?
Apparently I have a lot of questions.  Time to do some research.

No comments:

Post a Comment