Thursday, June 27, 2013

School's out!

Today was the last day of school.  I know it seems late, but that was mostly due to all the hurricane and snow days we had.  Even though sometimes it seemed like this day would never come, but FINALLY it has arrived.  The school is packed up, the building is ready to be closed, and more importantly, I made it through my first year as a math teacher.  If you know me and math, you  know that's a huge deal.  Don't worry though, I have tutoring for 6 weeks, so I won't be hanging out bored all summer.  However, I'll still have plenty of time to run.
Speaking of running, I had a top heavy week this time.  Sunday I went for a run/walk with my cousin around the Wakefield Lake.  It was supposed to be 6 miles, but there was a bit of a misunderstanding in the pacing situation.  I did 3 miles at a regular pace and sprints, and then walked the rest of the lake plus a second lap.  Monday night was a 10K Weiner Run in Hamilton.  (They have free hot dogs after the run, it's nothing creepy) Originally I wasn't going to attend but after my failed run on Sunday I decided to go for it.  When the run started it was mostly just hot.  The route itself was nice and I had a pretty good pace going for a while.  Then the clouds rolled in and the skies opened up.  Seriously.  At that point (mile 4ish) I stopped with Cynthia to wait for her sister to catch up.  We spent the last 2 miles running in a giant thunderstorm.  I wish I was exaggerating.  There was lightening, thunder, torrential downpour, and hail.  The streets were rivers and we were soaked.  By the time we got back to the start, the temperature had gone from 90 down to 70.  I won't lie though, it was nice for the most part.  Anything to take away the ridiculous humidity is fine with me.
Wednesday was, of course, the Lynn Woods run.  For a while it was looking like we might have a repeat of Monday with the rain coming through.  We got lucky though and it stopped raining around 6 p.m., just in time for our 6:30 start.  Sadly we didn't get to run the long run again this week, due to timing issues.  I'm hoping that next week we'll get back on to the long run.  2.5 doesn't seem like enough anymore.  The woods were muddy and wet, but the run wasn't terrible.  My time was basically the same as last week, but I'm hoping to improve that a bit in the next few weeks.
Since I had a weird running week, I decided to break out my bike today.  Now, I have a cute little beach cruiser, but it's not the best for actual hardcore biking.  (Seriously though, it's super cute.  Totally worth owning.)  Wait, I think I actually have a picture of it.... After further investigation, my app is disconnected at the moment, so you'll have to wait on that.  Anyways, I took the bike to the beach, which was quite a feat, considering I had to shove it in the back of my VW Rabbit.  But I managed, and had a nice little ride up and down the beach.  Altogether I went 5.6 miles, not bad at all, especially helpful since it was almost all flat.  My bike is not so great with hills.  As in, can't make it up them.  So, there you go.  That's been my week.  I'm hoping now that schools out and I'll have more time during the days I can get some more runs in, maybe a few longer runs.  We'll see how that goes.  Oh and I think I found the picture of my bike.  Enjoy!

See, told you it was cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment