Monday, July 29, 2013

Rad Marathon Training

I've been so busy being RAD and doing summer activities that I've been slacking on the blog again.  When I say being RAD, I'm not being full of myself, I'm merely referencing the Color Me Rad run I did this past weekend.  Last year I did the Color Run, which was basically the same race.  The only difference, besides location, was the efficiency of the race.  Last year, the parking for the race was far enough away that people needed to be bused to and from the parking lot.  Unfortunately, there was a major accident on 495 that day, which ended up holding up traffic for hours.  A lot of people spent more time waiting for the bus than they did running the race, myself included.  So while the race was fun, I wasn't really interested in going back to that particular course again.  Color Me Rad was in Brockton and there were no parking or traffic issues.  We got in, we ran, had some fun, and left.  Since we ran as a team, and every team needs a theme, we decided to run as Jem and the Holograms.  I must say, we looked fantastic.  People were hating all over the place.  We started off nice and clean but by the end, we were hardly recognizable.  It was a good time though and I'd definitely do it again next year.
Marathon training is coming along.  I don't really know if it's going great, or terribly.  We did 13.1 last night, just over 2 hours, but I wasn't too happy by the end.  My entire lower body was sore.  I honestly had a moment of panic in wondering how I can possibly run another 13.1 after that, when I felt like I couldn't possibly take another step at the end.  Today, in an effort to get used to running on tired legs, I went out for a 6 mile run.  But I went at 1 pm, which was possibly the worst choice, as the weather was hot and humid, and the sun was out.  Nevertheless, I made it 5 before I decided it was best if I walked the final mile.  The 5 took me about 44 minutes.  Not bad I suppose. Next weekend our long run ups to 15, so I need to mentally prepare for that.  I think I also need to figure out a fuel for the middle of the run. The sports beans are good, but I feel like they're not cutting it for what I need.  Burning sugar and carbs isn't going to be enough.  I need to be able to sustain the muscle power for the other half. So any suggestions on that would be helpful.
The Wednesday night runs are still going strong.  We've taken to having a little party in the parking lot afterwards, usually margs and chips. Don't knock it til you try it, it's fun, cheap, and a nice way to see everyone for a little bit.  Ryan also bought me a Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS watch.  I'm pretty pumped about it, because I was getting sick of using my phone for everything.  I knew I'd need something for the marathon anyways, because I didn't want to use my phone and drain the battery.  I'd prefer to have the battery at least halfway charged, in case of emergency.  I love the watch and it's been great, but I did notice that I've already started a new habit that I need to break.  When I know I'm getting close to the last mile, I can't help but keep looking at the watch every few seconds and watching the time tick away.  That's going to make everything seem so much harder, so I really need to stop.  If you want to view my new routes, you can check me out on Garmin connect, awwie15.  Now you're all caught up, so here are some pics.  Enjoy.

Wednesday nigh parking lot party

Enjoying our parking lot party

Before. So clean


Porta-potty shot, a race pre-req.



After







I was caught mid-color bombing!








No comments:

Post a Comment