Monday, June 17, 2013

End of the (school) year madness

If it wasn't for all those snow/hurricane days, tomorrow would be the last day of school!  Alas, instead, we are working until next Thursday.  I'm not sure which is worse, knowing that we would've been out of school tomorrow but still having to come in to pack up, or being in school and having to pack up the entire school before next Thursday.  So far we've gotten as far as wrapping up bookshelves in plastic wrap and turning in the handbooks/emergency procedures from September.  What I'm saying is, there's still a ton of work to do and a very small window of time left to do it.  Most of the craziness of the end of the year is what has been keeping me from updating you on my exciting running life.
Let's see.  The Lynn Woods run on Wednesday was ok but it was quite muddy in some places.  I'm a little nervous about this week, because there are scattered thunderstorms and just regular rain storms rolling through the state for the next two days.  Mud and rocks don't mix well when you're trying to run.  Plus it's a 7.7 mile run.  There's also an option to arrive at 6 and do a 12 - 13 miler, but I'm not ready for that kind of trail running yet.
However, running the woods has helped improve my flat ground running time.  On Friday I went for a 3 miler around Wakefield Lake and had my best time ever.  I did my first mile in 7:03! My second and third miles were done in 8:03, so clearly I started off a little TOO fast.  I still did 3 miles in 23 minutes and some seconds.  Not bad, especially for running alone.  Now if only I can slow down my first mile by 30 seconds, I can make my overall time even a little bit less.
Yesterday I did the Lazy Lobster virtual 10 mile for My Team Triumph.  My Team Triumph is a charity group that raises money to provide people with disabilities the opportunity to participate in events such as running.  Perhaps the most famous example is the Hoyt family.  The father runs the Boston Marathon every year, pushing his adult son in a type of stroller.  I found out about the race through Morty's mom, and of course I had to sign up.  The best part was that it was virtual, so I was able to run the 10 miles around me, instead of trying to make it to Wareham on the day of the race.  The people that set up the race even sent the race t-shirt and finisher medal to all virtual participants.  It was pretty awesome.  My time for the 10 miles wasn't that great, 1:40, but I know it could've been better.  The people I was running with had to stop a couple of times and since I wasn't entirely sure of where I was going, I couldn't keep my pace and leave them behind, so I slowed down a bit a few times. Even slowing down, it wasn't a terrible pace, I just know I can do better.
So, there you go, that's my recap.  Maybe I'll go for a run tomorrow if I can find time between rainstorms.  I'll leave you with some pictures of a rainbow, just because I can.






No comments:

Post a Comment