Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Lynn Woods Running club

I joined it.  Apparently, this thing has been around since the 90s.  Not that I was super into running in the 90s.  I mean, I was on the track team in high school, but if we're being realistic, that was the LATE, (LATE) 90s.  Almost the 00s.  So there's a 99% chance that I wouldn't have joined the club then anyways.  Nor would I have joined in 2003 - 2013.  Let's be serious here.  I barely even wanted to go running when I signed up for the Jingle Bell Run last December.  Now let's be really serious, I still barely want to go running, but sometimes I just force myself to do it so I feel like I'm getting some sort of exercise.  However, I do think it's a pretty cool idea.  I almost wish I had thought to start a running club of my own.  Sure, there'd only be about 3 people in it, and sure, I'd have no official timing, but it would've been smart.  Since I did NOT start my own running club though, it's nice to have one that's so close to me.  (Until I buy a new house and it is no longer close to me.  That'll happen in the next year, I swear.)
Last week was the second week, of the who knows how many years, of this season.  I missed the first week due to an event that I have now completely forgotten about, so I'm sure it was super important.  But last week I went and signed up, becoming runner 1280 in the club. There are three different courses, a jr. run, a short run, and a long run.  Jr. is for brand new runners and kids, short is for those who aren't quite ready for the long, and then, obviously, the long run is for people like me, who like to go on long runs.  The mileage for each run varies every week, but it doesn't seem so bad.  Last week it was 5.7, this week I believe it's 5.5, and then next week is 7.7.  Even though it's in the woods and it was just a straight line from one gate to the other, and back, the run wasn't too bad.  It's always nicer to go for a run when there are other people out, especially other people that are also mad at the hills for being so hilly.  At the end of the run last week, my time came in around 54 minutes.  Not too shabby for the first woods run in months.  Plus, on Monday when I went for another long run, not in the woods and on mostly flat roads, I ran 5.6 in 49 minutes.  Boom.  Shaved off 5 minutes already.  So, there's another run tomorrow, hopefully I can make my run a little shorter, a little closer to my time from yesterday, not my time from last week.  We'll see I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment