Saturday, October 11, 2014

Running in the rain

Today was the perfect day to get out and push myself past the little voice inside my head that has been holding me back all week.  I've been frustrated with not making it past 4 miles because I know it's only myself that's holding me back. If it was an injury or something similar, maybe it wouldn't be bugging me so much, but knowing that the problem is all mental was driving me crazy.  Mostly, by making me mad at myself that I couldn't get past my own influence. So, today, during the beautiful October rainstorm, I made the absolute choice to get out and do 14 miles.  No excuses, no reasons for turning around. So, I took my little self out and hit the roads of Danvers/Topsfield.  As much as I love running the beach routes, I wanted to try something different, something where I wouldn't know where I was going, so I was able to keep going until I hit 7, then I could just turn around and take the other 7 back. Overall it was a great choice.  I really had a lovely time on the run and I had no problem pushing myself past the 4 mile mark without wanting to give up. However, I did not love the route.  It was basically down old RT 1, which is not actually ideal for running.  The lanes are narrow and there's clearly no sidewalks, so it left me no choice but to run on the road. Actually I like running on the roads more than the sidewalks, but I don't like running so close to oncoming cars. Aside from the poor road choice, I had a great time though.  Best run I've had in the past couple of weeks, rain and all. Ok, let's be honest, the rain is what made it great in the first place.  So, here's my lovely run for the day.  This means I have tomorrow free to just box and then enjoy the Mansfield wedding!


Now I do have to attribute part of my attitude adjustment to a post I saw from the Louisiana Marathon this morning. I already love this quote and I think I need to turn it into a poster for the class. It said, "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." It really sparked my own will, basically giving me the push that I needed.  I've been spending all week being frustrated, stressed, and irritated at myself, which has been putting a damper on my own will to push myself. Let's be honest, if I don't believe in myself, who else will? And after today's run, I do believe I've conquered that terrible little voice.  In the end, if this was to be my marathon pace, I definitely wouldn't be mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment