Wednesday, October 29, 2014

An Ode to Shoes

My trusted and battle worn Adidas, I will miss you so.  Together we've run two marathons, 7 half marathons, and countless other short races along the way.We have logged well over 100 miles, you and I. You were the shoe I wore for my first half and my first full marathon.  We went through mud, water, sand, snow, and unbeknownst to me, other types of trash and dirt I'm sure.  From the highest hill to the lowest valley, together we conquered running.  You never gave up, not when you were water logged from 20 miles in the rain, or when it was so cold your laces were frozen together.
Shoes, you took me to new places and learned new routes, but you also joined me on the old home roads.  We went to Philly and D.C., Gloucester and Salem, Milwaukee and Waco, and yes, even a treadmill here or there. But you weren't just for running. Sometimes you got laced up for a dog walk, just because you could.  Your main calling though, your whole reason for being, your shoe-ness, if you will, was to run, and run fast.  And now, as your life as a running shoe takes it's final breath, know that you have fulfilled your purpose. You gave me the miles I needed, the support my knees deserved, and the style my vain side loved. Never again will a shoe as meaningful as you grace my feet.  So, with this, my final goodbye, I retire you, my blue Adidas marathon shoes, to the closet of dog walking shoes.  Know you go in good faith, with the love of my feet behind you, and the world of walking open to you.  Enjoy life in retirement.

Suiting up for my first half with my brand new shoes

Suiting up for my first FULL with my still new shoes

Will Run for Beer Series Finale: Summer Shoes

Wicked Half 2013: Fall shoes

Running with Stella: Dog shoes

Finish at Philly: November shoes


Today, the last day of their running career. 


Goodbye old friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment