Thursday, November 21, 2013

My name is Allison and I'm a marathon addict

I'm going to credit this to the runner's high phenomenon.  Even though I KNOW I struggled in the last 6 miles of the last marathon, now that it's been a  few days, I want to run another one.  Right now you might be asking yourself, WTF is wrong with this girl?  If you are, just know I'm asking myself the same question.  There's no reason for me to run another marathon.  Now, I just want to.  Is that weird? Maybe.  Sadly, as the winter rolls in, marathon options around here are supremely limited.   Most of the big marathons are being held on the West Coast or the Southern states, where it's probably a good 30 degrees warmer than the East Coast in the winter.  Since Ryan basically ruled out all travel for the purpose of running a marathon, I'm kind of limited here.  Not that I can argue his point.  We have a wedding to pay for and spending money to run 26.2 really isn't the best idea.  I suppose if I could find a marathon in, say, Saugus, he'd probably tell me to go for it.  Unfortunately, the closest marathon I've found that's coming up, is in Delaware.  Aside from the fact that I don't really even LIKE the state of Delaware, it would require another road trip, and neither of us is up for that.  In regards to why I don't like Delaware, I really don't have a good reason, or any reason at all.  We just paid a lot of tolls traveling through, so that made me sort of hate the state.  Oh well.
Louisiana has a marathon in January, which COULD be do-able, since Ryan has family there, so at least we'd have a reason to travel, but I'm pretty sure that's still out of the question.  Airfare is expensive, especially for a weekend trip.  You know what's really funny about this whole thing?  My original goal was to run one marathon, and one marathon only.  Walt Disney World 2014.  You know what marathon I'm not running? WDW 2014.  Though, 2015 is certainly an option in my mind at this point.  I'd also like to run Boston, but I can't fathom asking people to give me $4000 just to run, and I'm not in any shape to BQ anytime soon.  Plus, that's sold out too.
You know what I really want though?  Another running club.  The Lynn Woods Running Club was great for the summer months.  I really enjoyed having a group of people to run with every week.  Since those runs are over though, and most of my friends don't run long distance, I'm left with two, occasionally three, running buddies.  That's great and all, but if the others can't run with me, I end up either not going, or turning around earlier than I plan.  Running long distances alone is harder than you may think.  I know I can convince myself to run to a certain point, but eventually I end up turning around, even if I didn't make the distance I intended.  With a running group, I feel like I would have more success in running longer distances more often.  Knowing that I had to meet others would get me moving on days I didn't want too, and having people keep pace would keep me moving even when I started to feel done.  Ideally, Title would start a running club on the side.  I'd run with the people I box with, and I think it would be good for their business.  Or at least for their trainers, who could add in some extra workouts on the side.  But what do I know? I'm not the head of that business, and really, what I think and what is true are not always the same.  Either way though, all I know is that I could really use a winter running club, preferably one that meets more than once a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment