Tuesday, November 19, 2013

IIIInnnnnnn West Philadelphia....

Is where we hit mile 8 and I got a high five and morale boost from Ryan.  In East Philadelphia, where the race started and ended, and indeed, spent most of the time, is where I ran through every possible emotion a person can have while running a marathon.
Let's begin at the beginning.  Another early start, because apparently Boston has a super late start compared to fall marathons.  The race went off at 7 which means we had to be there by 5.  Yea, right, I got there at 5:45, and still had plenty of time.  I met Cynthia and Murdock around 6:30ish and we headed straight for the porta-potty lines.  There we waited for about 20 minutes, and actually heard the race start.  So, maybe I didn't have PLENTY of time, but this wasn't like MCM.  In Philly they corralled people and walked the corrals to the start.  So our corral actually didn't cross the start line until 20 past.  I was actually not nervous at all this time around and was really just in it for fun.  At the start, the crowd was pumped and the mayor was handing out high fives. (I totally got one on my way over the start line!)  Basically right from the start the energy was awesome.
Since the crowd was a lot smaller, we were able to get a better start. In fact, most of our first half was in the low 10s/high 9s minute wise. That comes back to haunt me later on, but one mile at time for now. We started out at the Philadelphia Art Museum and ran a bunch of streets which I have no knowledge off.  I can tell you that we ran by the oldest four masted ship still afloat, near Drexel University, by Chinatown, and the market.  My working knowledge of Philly's streets and our race route beyond that is pretty much non-existent.  The first miles were amazing.  Spectators were out in full force and having a grand old time.  I knew Ryan was at mile 8, so I was having fun counting down the miles to him as well.  We got lots of high fives and even some beer offers from the Frat Houses.  A little after mile 8 I got my high fives from Ryan and kept on trucking.  Of course we found the dreaded up hill at mile 9, but honestly, it wasn't that bad.  There were worse ones later in the route.  Plus, after the uphill, there was some lovely downhill coasting.  Somewhere in there we ran past the Philadelphia Zoo, but there wasn't much to see.  Around mile 11/12 we started splitting and seeing the signs that sent the half-marathoners back to the finish and the rest of us off to the other half.  I'll admit, for a brief moment I wished I was running the half and almost done, instead of only half way in.
At the half split, we passed the art museum again.  I got a nice surprise when I saw Ryan at the steps of the museum, waiting for another high five.  Then we turned the corner and tackled the second half of our run.  For the second half, we basically ran a straightaway up the Schulykil River.  The scenery was nice and for a couple more miles there were crowds and cheering.  We even saw the first place female finisher coming down the stretch as we were heading up.  That was exciting, even if it was a little disappointing to know that she was almost done and I still had an entire half left to go.  Around mile 16 the crowds really started to taper out and things got a little boring.  Part of that was because Cynthia and Murdock, once again, ended up far enough in front of me that I was basically on my own.  This time though, I used my playlist as a little extra push, so I didn't feel totally bad about being behind.  Plus, since it wasn't my first, I knew I could finish and just find them at the end if I had to.
I'll admit, this straightaway was far worse than any part of the MCM.  Including the bridge.  Some people really enjoy straight roads, but I hate them.  I need changing scenery and direction.  Seeing everything in front and knowing there's no turn around in sight is damaging to my energy.  Aside from that, it was actually a fairly warm day out, which was not helping.  I was drinking plenty of water and taking in gels, but it just wasn't enough.  I was burnt out totally by mile 20. The hill at mile 19 didn't help.  Who puts a hill at mile 19?!?!?! This isn't Boston people.
I'll admit, I almost called Ryan and told him I was walking the last 6.2, and to come meet me half way if he wanted too.  Luckily, my stubborn side kicked in and I couldn't let myself walk.  Having some spectators reappear at miles 19 - 22 really helped too.  I've noticed that people must really be able to tell when us runners are struggling, because people were yelling my name, telling me I was looking good, all sorts of encouraging cheers that pushed me to keep going, even though I really just wanted to stop.  Around mile 22 the 4:30 pace team caught up with me.  This was a surprise, as I actually thought I was way behind my goal time.  I ran with the pace team for a mile or longer, I'm really not sure, I think I made it to mile 24 with them.  They helped me pick up my pace, but also offered a distraction.  The woman holding the pacing sign just kept up a steady flow of talk, which I was listening to, more to forget about the pain in the entire lower half of my body, than to actually care about what she was saying.  Following with the pace team, I actually caught back up to Cynthia and Murdock and found out I wasn't the only one struggling.  We ran through to the next water stop, then I sort of fell behind them again.  But, I made it to mile 25.5 with them, so by that point, I was at least close enough to be basically on track.  At mile 26 a rush of adrenaline kicked in.  I've never given much thought to that whole adrenaline rush thing, but I finally know what it is.  Honestly, I didn't think I could move any faster or even keep running when I was at mile 25.  At mile 26 all I knew was that I was almost there and I had to run.  Suddenly I heard the crowds yelling and even though I'm sure they weren't, it's like they were all cheering for me.  I could hear the DJ at the finish line and more importantly, I could SEE the finish.  Those last .2 miles I all out ran, faster than I even knew I could at that moment, just to be done.  So fast, in fact, that I caught back up to Cynthia and Murdock and crossed 1 behind Cynthia. Quite a feat, considering I couldn't even see her anymore when I got to mile 26.  I also got a high five from the mayor on the way over the finish. My final time was 4:37 and some seconds.  If we're going by recorded times, it was almost 10 minutes faster than the MCM.  If we go by Garmin times, it was a minute slower, and that was without a bathroom break.  I'm a little disappointed, because I was really hoping for a faster time, even just by 5 minutes.  Part of it was the weather and the fact that I had too much caffeine in my energy supplements, but part of it was that I didn't do much running between MCM and Philly.  I did a few 5Ks and a 10 miler last weekend, but I should have done more.  Oh well.
Of course after we finished we took pictures with Rocky and ran the steps to the museum.  We wanted to buy finisher shirts, but they were all sold out! The car ride home wasn't too bad, mostly because it was shorter, but it was still fairly uncomfortable.

Comparing the two, this is what I've come up with.
MCM Pros: Better course, in my opinion. More spectators along the miles, or so it seemed.  Great volunteers and Marines, who were inspiring and happy to give a high five.  Plenty of food stops along with the water stops; four altogether, oranges, gels, sports beans, and munchkins. Awesome medals at the end, given by a Marine.  Fantastic jacket for body temperature regulation and a food box for the finishers.  Bananas, water, and Gatorade as well.
MCM Cons: The Gauntlet and Beat the Bridge time limits are terrifying for a first timer.  Even though I knew my training time was well inside the time limit, I was still nervous for both milestones.  Lots of runners go off together, making a very crowded first few miles.  No time clocks at every mile, instead someone calling out times as you run by.  Hard turnaround somewhere within miles 6 - 9, not sure exactly which miles, but seriously hairpin turn which caused a giant bottleneck again.

Philadelphia Pros; Much smaller pool of runners and more controlled corral releases, which spread out the runners, giving a better starting pace. Lots of scenery at the beginning. Nice to run with half-marathoners too. Time trackers at every mile marker.  Great volunteers.  Awesome medals at the end. Food bag at the end with orange juice and other small snacks.  Astronaut blanket for body temp regulation.
Philadelphia Cons: Longest out and back of my life.  Not enough spectators in the later miles, which is when I, at least, really needed them.  Only one food stop, gels at mile 9.  A bit hilly, in which the downhills caused a bit of an issue with my knees.

Overall, I liked them both, for different reasons.  Now though, I really want to do Boston, just for a straight course from one end to the other, without looping back around.  I think it would be fun.  If only I could get myself in there.  Someday. All in all though, I'm not sure I'll ever run two marathons in 3 weeks ever again.  You never know though.  Stranger things have happened.


Philadelphia Marathon Race Weekend - Marathon
RUNNER
11581
ALLISON RUNYAN
LYNN, MA
Female / 29
View All Female 25 - 29 Results






Division
717
Gender
2924
Overall
7380
Finish Time
Finish Net4:37:34
Finish Gun4:38:36
LocationNet TimeClock TimeTime of DayPacePace Between
Start00:001:037:20:47
10K Split1:01:501:02:528:22:379:57 /mi
10:23 /mi
Halfway Split2:13:292:14:319:34:1610:10 /mi
10:45 /mi
30K Split3:13:013:14:0410:33:4810:21 /mi
11:09 /mi
Finish4:37:344:38:3611:58:2010:35 /mi

Other Results for ALLISON RUNYAN

DateEvent NameNameCity/StateAgeBibPlaceCat. PlacePaceTime
201338th Marine Corps MarathonALLISON RUNYANLYNN/MA29304561230387810:47/mi4:43:01










No comments:

Post a Comment