Tuesday, September 10, 2013

I'm still here

I've been having a serious motivation problem lately.  Not about updating, but about getting out and doing my training runs.  Thinking back, I feel like it came on the heels of that awful 17 miler I did about a month ago now.  After failing to run the second half of that at an acceptable pace, I kind of let myself get defeated.  For a while, (read, until today) I really didn't even want to keep going with this whole marathon things.  Seriously, who in their right mind decides to run a marathon, just for fun?  It's not like I'm trying to BQ and I don't really plan on running anymore, so what was the point.  Luckily, thanks to a power hour at boxing today, I finally pulled myself out of that mindset and back into the marathon pump up.
Let's stick with what I know.  I KNOW I can run a half, in good weather, in 2 hours and 1 minute.  So, given the idea that I want to try and come in around 4:30, that leaves me another 2 hours and an extra half an hour to get in the last 13.1.  On top of that, if I can do 17 in 3 hours and 4 minutes, that STILL leaves me an hour and half (give or take a few minutes) to finish the last 9.2.  I know I've done a 15K in 1:34, which is almost exactly what I'll have left.  So, putting it all together, assuming the weather is good, I can make a good start and keep up a fairly regular pace without too many stops, I should be able to come in right around my goal time.  Of course, my goal time is an entire hour slower than what it would take to BQ, which is why I say I'm not even attempting it.  But, I am attempting to finish in a reasonable amount of time.  If for no other reason, I really don't want to run for 5 hours.  Who does?  Especially when I have the prospect of a 6 hour drive home ahead of me after the marathon.
So, I know I slacked, and I know I'll pay for it.  At least I've been boxing on top of my training, so I'm hoping that will improve my endurance.  If you're wondering how power hour got me back into my pumped for the marathon state, it's simple.  Usually there's a trainer or two walking around having people hit the pads while you work on combos. Today there was 4.  That's double the amount that usually circulate.  These four weren't going easy either.  It was always just one more round, just 10 more hooks, a 100% combo burn-out.  In short, there were no excuses.  If the trainer was in front of you, you were going 100%.  Lucky me, I got visited by all  four trainers at different times, therefore forcing me to dig deeper and work harder.  And on the heels of that push, came the push I needed for the marathon.  So, to the awesome trainers at Title, who won't let you quit, thanks for getting me back on track!
You know what else helped?  Ryan telling me that I should just not do it, because it's crazy and who wants to do crazy things.  I know he meant it and didn't mean it all at once.  I think he seriously means it, because he doesn't want to drive down there, and to be honest, I think that's the worst part of all of it, I don't want to make the drive either.  But, I know he didn't mean it, because he doesn't want me to give up, so when I'm whining about actually giving up, he pulls out the old reverse psychology and makes me NOT want to quit anymore.  He's slick, but he knows what works.  And I know even though he hates the whole thing, he'll be at the finish line, being disgusted by the runners and happy for me all at once. So, at least I have that motivation. Thanks Ry!
In other news, I got my donorschoose project funded, so that's all set and it's awesome.  School has been going great this year and all the children seem happy to be back.  I actually made some cool crafts for school, which I'll share later. Right now, I'm trying to stick to marathon training updates.  I want to try and run from heartbreak hill to Copely as a shorter training run, a few weeks before the marathon, just to get a feel for it, and be able to say I at least ran part of Boston.  Other than that, I think I'll stick to regular routes and aim for the 20 miler this weekend.  Here goes nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment