Sunday, October 18, 2015

An Invisible Red Thread

If you're not already familiar with that phrase, let me enlighten you.  There's an ancient Chinese proverb that states "An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance.  The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break."  Now, this was originally meant to be a way to explain soulmates, but times change and so do meanings.  I've read this quote before and I've really come to appreciate it as a way of thinking about why the people I've met are in my life.  It's kind of nice thinking that you would have met these people, no matter what, because you were destined to meet.  Of course there are people that, like you, I'd rather not have met, but I still like to apply the red thread concept to them.  I suppose it's my way of making sense out of a seemingly random act of life.
As you know by now, I'll be running Boston next year for Michael's Miracle Team, to support the respite center that Morty attended.  Coincidentally, the team color was red last year.  So, again, looking for logic in random places, I've come up with my Red Thread Campaign, to connect the proverb and my fundraising.  You see, I'm sure there was a reason for meeting Morty and his family years ago, and I highly doubt that reason was just so I could run Boston in 2016.  But, it could be to spread the word about a wonderful center in Hopkinton that does so much for the families who need it, and asks for so little in return.  Here's the bottom line.  From now on, should you make a donation, in return, I will send you a red paracord bracelet.  This bracelet will come with a tag that has the proverb on one side, and Morty's story on the other side.  I may even branch out and ask families if I can share their loved one's stories on the bracelet tags. So, when you're donating, you're not only helping a great place, you're connecting yourself to someone you wouldn't have otherwise been connected with.  A red thread.  Bonus offer: If you donate more than $25, I will put your name or a name of your request, on the back of my marathon shirt for the day of the race.  I'm going to try and get donation jars out this week at a couple of local businesses as well, and supply them with a handful of red bracelets to be distributed to anyone who drops money in the jar.  If you're curious as to what the bracelet looks like, I've provided a picture below.  As always, if you want to donate, CLICK HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment