Sunday, January 11, 2015

One more week!

Exactly one week from today the marathon will be underway.  By this time it will be long over for me, actually, and for everyone, because you know, 6 hour time limit.  Anyways, I'm 2/3 excited and 1/3 freaking out even though this is marathon number 3.  It's also marathon #1 solo and marathon #1 for a sub-4 hour time goal.  So while I should be enjoying the taper, I'm too busy thinking about the fact that maybe I tapered too hard and won't be fast enough on race day.  Is that even a thing? I feel like it probably is.  If you can get faster by practicing your speed intervals, can't you also get slower by NOT practicing your speed intervals?  So many questions! The main reason for my super taper all of a sudden is because my left peroneus tendon was beginning to hurt.  Last Wednesday I intended to run 4 miles on the stupid treadmill, but a mile in my ankle really started hurting.  This hasn't happened since last summer, so I don't know what caused the problem all of a sudden last week, but I am not happy about it.  As of today it seems to be diminishing, but I don't want to take any chances.  Friday I ran a quick 3 miles and I could definitely feel the ache.  So I'd rather rest it this week and be ready for Sunday instead of trying to get in miles and then screwing myself on the day of the race. Don't worry, I've still been boxing, so it's not as if I haven't been working out.  In fact, boxing helps keep some of these crazy thoughts at bay because it gives me something to focus on besides failing to meet my goal in the marathon! Oh, it was also really cold here for a couple of days, but let's be real, that's never stopped me before.  I've run in 6 degrees, so as long as the temps are above 0, that's not a huge factor in my lack of running.
But back to Sunday.  I've been looking at the extended forecast for Baton Rouge and I don't know how I feel about the predicted weather.  Right now it's showing 67 degrees and 79% humidity.  It's been a few months since I've run in humid weather and it makes me nervous that it will really slow me down.  I'm really counting on Tailwind to pull me through that particular aspect.  Clothing is another issue, as I can't decide what to wear on race day.  At first I was thinking capris and a short sleeve shirt, but now I'm thinking shorts and a tank.  The low is supposed to be 57, so even if it's "cold" at the start, it will be infinitely warmer than what I'm used to currently.  Plus it's only going to get warmer as I run, especially if the sun is out.  I'm also worried about traveling down there, because one flight delay could ruin everything.  As far as I know, there's no major storms on the way, but that doesn't mean that won't change by Friday. On top of that, it's going to be a lot harder to eat properly when I'm airport hopping and surrounded by fast food options.  Man, how do people do this?  I feel like it shouldn't be an issue anymore, because I've done it all before, and yet I still have all these thoughts running through my head.  Then again, maybe typing them all out will help get them out of my head.
What I really want to remember on race day though, is that in the end it doesn't really matter if I finish over or under 4 hours.  The only people who are going to actually care about it, really don't exist. In the end, it's just me who's going to know what my finishing time means.  Sure, I can tell people I ran a 3: something marathon, but I feel like anyone who cares is going to care more about the fact that I ran the marathon, not the time.  Don't get me wrong, it would be fantastic to tell people that I've run a sub-4 marathon, but it won't really mean anything to anyone except me.  I suppose if I don't do it, I could always sign up and run Hyannis in February and aim for it then.  It's not like this is the only marathon of 2015.  I do think I'm going to pull the selfie every mile attempt.  At the very least, it will give me something to look forward to each mile.  No idea if it will help, but it might make the tail end of the marathon seem a bit easier.  Plus, I want to be able to enjoy the scenery of Baton Rouge a little bit, so I feel like maybe aiming for a sub-4 shouldn't be my main goal.  It's likely I'll never get to see the city from that view again, so I might as well take in the experience when I can.  I do plan on jumping in with the 8:30 pace group and sticking with them as long as possible.  My hope is that by the time I can't stick with them anymore, I'll only have to fall back into the 8:58 pace group.  Which is a full 10 seconds lower than my 20 miler training pace, so that's totally a do-able pace for 26.2.  Alright, I think I got everything out, so I should be able to just be excited about this now.  Of course if anyone wants to leave any encouragement or support, I'll gladly accept!

My beautiful shoe. These have been the highlight of my marathon training.


2 comments:

  1. Allie you are going to kick this marathons butt! You are right that people aren't going to care if you don't get the sub-4 time, we are really just impressed that you ran another marathon, and excited for you. While we will be rooting for you beating your personal best, we will will be proud of you either way! My mom never says good luck to us, she always says good skill, because luck doesn't accomplish goals, hard work, effort and skill do. So I am going to echo that sentiment. Good Skill!!! We are all rooting for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allie, you are amazing in so many ways, being in this marathon is just a tiny part of that. Just be proud of the accomplishment of running the marathon, not everyone can do that, and enjoy the Louisiana experience. Love you! (I'll still love you, even if you don't make the sub-4 time, but I expect you will, no problem.)

    ReplyDelete