Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Wednesday night runs

As you might be aware, I've been running the Lynn Woods runs this Spring/Summer.  This year we haven't been as good at keeping up with the runs.  Last year though, we had the MCM at the end of October, so it was more necessary to participate in the long runs and actually make an effort to push through them.  This year, my training is far from needing long runs in the woods, not to mention that some people were carrying babies and couldn't run towards the end.  So, it's been a bit sporadic this year, but we've still been going and at least walking the route, so that's something.  Now, you should also know by now that I've been testing out Tailwind and making decisions based on it's powers.  Sure, I had already decided that it was worth it, but tonight really drove that point home.
Today I went for a nice 5K before boxing, because I wasn't sure if I was going to run the woods or not, and I definitely wanted to get some miles in.  I went out on my now regular route behind the boxing club and down the rail trail.  When  I set out, I wasn't planning on going hard or fast, but I guess Tailwind had different ideas.  My first mile was done in 7:59.  The last two miles were both done in 8:11.  (Yea consistency!) Overall, my 5K was done in 25:13, which, according to Garmin is a new PR for me.  Woo Woo! That came on a Wednesday, after working all day, just drinking Tailwind, with no intention of trying. Needless to say, I was pleased with myself and of course bragged all about it to the trainers at Title when I got back.  Sure, they definitely didn't care, but whatever, it was my moment.  So I did my power hour 8 rounds of boxing, ate a PB&J while driving to the woods, and decided to run the short run after all.  Again, still mostly under the influence of Tailwind.  No one else from the group was running tonight, but that's ok, I've done plenty of solo runs before.  When the short run was lined up, I jumped in and hit the trails.  Lynn Woods has some lovely hills and the run is famous for starting on the incline, so everyone slows down at first.  As I was running in, I was passing people left and right and was feeling pretty good about it, even though I figured it wouldn't last.  But, the longer we ran, the more people I passed, until I was all alone.  Up in the distance I could see a figure in a purple shirt, but I just couldn't quite catch him.  Then again, I wasn't trying that hard either.  I was convinced that I was in first place for a while, but when I caught sight of that shirt, I realized I wasn't.  However, I knew I must be close, because I had passed so many people and there was no one around me.  To the point where I couldn't even hear feet coming up behind me, so I don't even think there was anyone close to me.  Never look back, that's the first rule of running a race, so I kept my eyes forward and chased that purple shirt.  Sure, I never did catch him, but I did manage to pull out a 9:00 minute mile in the woods.  Maybe that's not that impressive, but it was enough to keep me in FIRST PLACE for female finishers.  That's right, after two years of woods runs, I finally came in first. Top five actually, even if I was number five.  Anyways, I'm proud of myself but I'm fairly certain I owe most of it to the Tailwind.  If I didn't believe it worked before, I definitely do now.

PROOF!




                                     





*These are both double links. One click will take you to the picture page. You have to click view details on that to get to the Garmin page.




Oh and here's a lovely picture I drew, just because I like the way it came out. Well, most of it. I don't love Anna's eyes. I do love how Elsa came out though. I so should have been a Disney animator.  Also, a sign for Matt D's surprise party this past Saturday. In case you're wondering, I take requests.




No comments:

Post a Comment