Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston, you're my home

This morning I went for a run, because I can.  Because so many other people can't right now.  Because I had friends at the finish line who's lives have been changed forever (No physical injuries, but 150 feet from the bomb leaves some emotional scars I'm sure.)  Because there was an 8 year old boy and his family at the finish line, and the family will never see him again.  Because Boston is the backdrop to my run at least once a week, so it seemed important to go out and run that route today.  There are tons of reasons why I went for a run today, these are just some of the few.  As I was running, I decided to go that extra mile.  I had too.  There are people in hospitals in Boston who maybe will never get to go another mile on their own again.  This time I changed my route though.  Usually I go up to Swampscott and back, but today I went around Nahant.  The view of Boston across the bay from Nahant is gorgeous and it was a constant reminder of why I had to keep running.  It also seemed incredibly important to use Charity Miles today.  Even though I use the app almost every time I run, there was no question about it today.  I ran for Wounded Warriors, which seemed fitting.
My intent was to run at least 4 miles.  Sadly, when I was heading back down the beach, about a half mile from my car, I happened upon a dead seal in the middle of the beach.  At first I wasn't sure if it was a seal or just a giant piece of trash, so I turned course and went to check it out.  Upon arrival, I confirmed that it was a seal, and after that, I had to do something.  I wasn't sure who to call, being in the middle of the beach and all, so I opted for Lynn Animal Control.  I waited with that seal for at least a half an hour, but still no one had shown up.  I hope by now the poor animal has been removed.  It was an immensely sad sight, seeing this lovely creature beached and alone.  There usually aren't any seals this far North, so I'm not sure where it came from, but I hope if there are others out there, that the New England Aquarium is aware of the situation and can save others from the same fate.
All in all, I made it about 3.5 miles running and then added the extra .5 on after leaving the seal behind. Along the way, I took some pictures of my route, so you can see what a nice view I usually have of Boston.  I'm also including a picture of my charity miles, which I edited just slightly, to a song that I found to be incredibly fitting.  Enjoy!

The view as I came down a hill in Nahant.

The bottom of the hill, Boston in the background.  It's much clearer in person than in these pictures.






No comments:

Post a Comment