Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Running against the wind

Is what I would be doing if I were out running.  But, I haven't gone running since last Wednesday.  Man, how do people do this indoor running thing?  I mean seriously, as soon as the snow covered the sidewalks, it's like running didn't exist anymore to me.  Even on the treadmill, I'm only getting in 3 or less.  That's completely unacceptable since I have to run Boston in a couple of months.  Unfortunately I keep telling myself it's fine since I ran two marathons over the last 4 months.  But that's not really true, because if I keep up this trend of not running, when April rolls around, I'm going to be in for a sad awakening when I can't finish the marathon or when it takes me 5 hours.  Or just being super sore for days afterwards like I was for Louisiana.  Bottom line here is that I need to get moving again.  The question is how?
If you have any tricks, I'd love to hear them.  I've done the whole watch a movie or show on the treadmill, didn't love that, tried reading and listening to audiobooks, didn't love that, and tried interval training.  Interval training is the most effective in that it makes the miles go by faster, but I also feel like I'm not getting the most out of it by jumping off to make up for the recovery part of my hill repeats.  I don't know.  It just seems like the treadmill is not working for me.  But going outside seems dangerous.  The sidewalks are either not shoveled or iced over and running on the street for long stretches seems like I'm just asking to be hit by a car.  Especially with so many people still not paying attention to the road and looking down at their phones.  You wouldn't even believe the amount of people I see driving to and from work each day that are looking down, instead of forward.  It's actually a bit astounding.  Generally I tend to notice it when I'm sitting in traffic watching other cars go by me in the lanes that are moving, but that's even worse, I think.  Texting while driving really doesn't make any sense to me.   It can wait.  I know that's the AT&T slogan or whatever, but I fully believe that's true.  If whatever you texting is that important, pull over or make a hands-free call.  Anyways, it's reason like this that make me nervous about running on streets for extended periods of time.  I know how distracted everyone seems to be and if you add in ice and snow, it's a recipe for disaster.
I guess I'm going to have to learn to love the treadmill.  Or at least make it a habit to run at least 3 miles on it each day.  I suppose I could do 3 outside and 3 on the tread, but even that seems like a stretch.  I just love running outside.  It's so much nicer.  If only the rail trails in the area were packed down.  Those I'd be more than happy to run and I could just strap on my yaktrax and go.  Unfortunately, I don't think most of them are run-able once the snow surpasses 2 inches.  Maybe tomorrow I'll go check one out.  At this point, it probably couldn't hurt, and if I don't get running soon, I'm going to regret it.
Since I've been talking about snow, and we did have a snow day yesterday, here are some pictures to enjoy. They're clearly not running related, but the puppies in them sure are cute!







No comments:

Post a Comment