Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Whoops

I know the last time I stopped running for 2 weeks I said I wouldn't do it again, because it was miserable starting back up again.  Unfortunately, I did it again.  Having a chest/head cold is THE WORST for running.  If you can't breathe through your nose, it cuts down on your air intake, therefore decreasing your running speed/stamina.  It makes everything 100x more miserable, not just running. I'm sure you've been sick before so you know.  But, once again, it's time for me to get back out there and go again.  Yesterday I went for a shorter run and tomorrow I'm going for a 5 or 6 miler.  I'll probably go again on Friday too.  It's a vacation day, so that means some time for myself, woo woo!  Saturday is a Will Run for Beer race, again in Salisbury, this time a 4 miler.  The weekend after that is another WRFB race in New Hampshire and the Saturday after THAT is the make-up from the postponed Wild Rover race.  There's one final WRFB race on the 21, but I'm not sure I want to do that one.  We'll see, but there's a good chance I'll skip it.  After all, that is the weekend after April vacation.
For running this week I've started listening to Gone With the Wind on Audible.  It's one of my favorite stories to read in the Spring/Summer, so I figured it would be a good audio book for the runs.  I've really been enjoying the audio books on my runs.  It helps distract me from the actual running which is always nice.
In order to run more, I've been debating running to/from work at least a couple of days a week. It's only a 20 minute walk, less than a mile away I believe, which means a run would be maybe 10 - 15 minutes.  I'm ok with that, but I am a little concerned about the logistics of the whole thing.  I don't want to be totally sweaty and smelly when I get to work and have to change clothes and all that jazz. Plus I have a lot of supplies that I carry with me to and from school, so I would have to add that in to my run.  For that piece at least I think I've got it figured out.  I have one of those hiking backpacks that clips around the waist and has the mesh back, you know, all that fancy stuff.  I'm sure I can fit everything in there, plus my work clothes and shoes, and carry it on my back while I run.  I know I'll look totally cool dorky running down the street to work, but sometimes you have to sacrifice looks for fitness right?  I also figured I could keep some baby wipes at work to at least freshen up after the run, which I suppose solves another piece of the problem.
I guess what it comes down to is that I have to make myself do it. I don't really WANT to get up earlier than I do, but I can.  I don't really WANT to run to work instead of drive, but I should.  Especially now, because I won a bid for a tutoring job after-school, working with some of the after-school programs in the city.  So now Tues - Thurs I work and then have to tutor.  I have an hour between the end of the school day and the beginning of tutoring, so I figure I can run home, change, let out the dogs, and then drive to tutoring.  Since I am cutting down on the amount of time I have after school to run, I figure it's better to run to and from work than to not do it at all.  I'll let you know how that goes later on though.

No comments:

Post a Comment