Monday, December 8, 2014

Happy Holidays and Half Merrython

Yesterday was the YukanRaces Half merrython and 2.62 fun run up in Gloucester.  This is the same race that I ran last year.  I distinctly remember it being extremely cold that day but not much else except that at the time it had been my fastest half ever. Apparently I blocked out everything else about that course, which turned out to not be so good.  Now, since I know I'm going to have to do a 20 miler at some point in the next three weeks, I figured this would be a good chance to get there with some crowd support.  I signed up to run the 2.62 fun run at 9 and the half at 10, which worked out well.  I finished the 2.62 (which was really 2.7) in 21 something and came in 2nd place in my age group.  Then I ran the half with Murdock keeping me company, in 1:56.  Not my best half, but fairly average.  Unfortunately I must have completely blocked out the entire course until I started running.  Hills. Hills everywhere.  Big hills, little hills, steep hills, slow inclines, you name it, it was there.  So, to be done at 1:56 after a 2.7 mile run previously, with all the hills, is an accomplishment.  Mostly though, I need to remember this next year when I go to sign up again.
After the races, I went home and ate lunch.  Later I decided to get in an extra 5 miles just to meet my 20 mile mark.  Nala and I went for a nice night run around the neighborhood.  Normally I don't run in the dark, especially in this city, but I just really wanted those last five miles in.  Plus, Nala is a big toughie and it was really only 6:00 even though it seemed like midnight.  I felt surprisingly good for those last 5 miles.  By this morning, my legs were 100% recovered and I felt like I hadn't run at all. If only I knew what I did to make this recovery so fast, because I'd love to replicate it after the marathon!
Anyways I'm happy I got in my 21 miles.  I think it really will help with the mental aspect of being able to complete a marathon.  Of course I still planning on doing a full 20 miler with no breaks.  That's going to come during winter vacation though. If all goes well, I think I might actually be able to finish in close to the 4 hour mark this time.
As always, here are some pictures and a Garmin link to the half.

Wind speed in the morning

2.62 fun run sprint to the finish

2nd/25th place


Mile 6ish

Mile 10ish



No comments:

Post a Comment